Home Login Sign up


Essential Tax Obligations For Blog Writers In Spain

Tax Agency (Hacienda)

tax obligations for blog writers

Many writers or editors start their careers writing articles without knowing the essential tax obligations for blog writers in Spain. Usually, they start writing posts as guests on other blogs and making a name in the world of digital marketing.

In our article today, we will explain everything you need to know about the epigraph in which you must register and your tax obligations as a blog writer in Spain.

1. Categories

First of all, you should know that the classification we will talk about today includes: journalists, freelance post writers, copywriters, community managers, digital marketing professionals (email marketing, funnels, etc.), etc.

2. Register as a freelancer or self-employed

The difference between freelancer and self-employed is that if you are a freelancer (“freelance” in Spanish), you would be registered only in the Treasury. If you are self-employed (“autónomo” in Spanish), you must register with the Treasury and Social Security.

3. Tax regime and registration heading (IAE)

The epigraph or the IAE in which you must register in the Tax Agency if you belong to this category of editors is number 861 Painters, sculptors, potters, artisans, engravers, and similar artists, section 2, that is, it is a professional activity. That means that you would have to apply withholding on invoices that you issue to companies and other professionals (other freelancers like you).

If you haven’t registered in a different professional activity in the last 12 months, you can apply the reduced withholding of 7%. If, on the other hand, you have been in this activity for more than two years or have registered in another professional activity, you would apply 15%.

And since you use withholding on your invoices, as long as you invoice more than 70% of your income by applying to withhold, you would not have an obligation to submit form 130.

The tax regime applicable to your activity is a simplified direct estimation of personal income tax and VAT General Regime. In most cases, if you enrolled in this IAE, you would be registered in an activity subject to VAT, but not always!


If you write posts and reviews for magazines or newspapers, whether digital or on paper, you would be registered under the same heading 861/2, but your activity would be exempt from VAT. Be very careful about this, because the information on the internet states that you would always be subject to VAT and that’s not necessarily true.

4. Tax obligations for blog writers

Let’s see what tax forms you should submit:

4.1. Quarterly

– VAT form 303: if your activity is exempt from VAT you do not have to submit this form.

– IRPF form 130: as we have said, you would have to submit it only if less than 70% of your billing is not subject to withholding. This is the situation when you have more income from individuals than companies and professionals. Or, if you write posts for foreign companies.

– Form 349: if you have to bill intra-community companies. Remember that before that you must request to be registered in ROI or VIES (Registry of Intra-Community Operators).

– Form 111 of professional withholdings: if any of your suppliers is another self-employed worker who retains in his invoices, you would have an obligation to pay these withholdings in his name in the Treasury quarterly.

4.2. Yearly

form 390 of annual VAT summary

form 347 of operations with customers and/or suppliers that exceed € 3005 during the year.

– form 100 (annual income statement or “renta”). When you are registered as a freelancer or as self-employed, you must submit the annual income statement of the year in which you registered. You will not be able to send your draft as you have done other years in which you only worked for someone else.

As you can see, there are quite a few things to consider. You already know that with our platform and with our help you don’t have to worry about the tax part and only take care of your business, we take care of registering you with the necessary tax responsibilities and submitting your taxes.

7 Essential Expenses for Self-Employed In Spain

What Is The Tax Domicile In Spain?

Tax withheld (retenciones) and account deposits (ingresos a cuenta)

How Freelancers in Spain Work on Upwork


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,